Here’s a meme that’s new to me. The houseplant census started by Mr. McGregor’s Daughter. The idea is to list the houseplants you currently have, including the plants you are overwintering. You can list them as a post on your own blog with a link at MMD, or as a comment there. Obviously I’ve opted for the former.
- 3 African violets plus one violet start up – a must have for winter blooms
- 1 aloe – a must have for burns
- 2 peperomia – about the easiest care plant ever
- 2 scented geranium – they barely survive the winter, but thrive outside during summer
- 2 hibiscus – cut these way back early winter, they bloom beautifully during summer. One is 18 years old, the other it’s baby
- 1 hoya
- 3 ivy
- 3 dracaena –two of one type and one of another
- 2 sansevieria – Mother-in-law’s tongue
- 2 Christmas/Thanksgiving cacti – it blooms whenever it damn well pleases and I don’t’ mind
- 3 philodendron
- 1 spathiphyllum – peace lily
- 3 coleus – always taken from cuttings the previous summer. My kitchen window sill would not be the same without them
- 1 jasmine – an amazing scent whenever it decides to bloom
- 1 lemon grass – overwintered but still good for occasional additions to winter meals
- 1 rosemary – overwintered and a tasty addition to winter soups, chicken, and fish
- 1 so-called pony tail palm
- 1 bromeliad
- 2 gerbera daisy plants I’m overwintering in the garage
- 1 trailing variegated vinca that’s keeping the gerberas company
- and I did have a basil until … GOOPs … it came down with a case of aphids and found itself banished into the bitter winter cold.
Funny, I didn’t think I had this many indoor plants, and I never got around to forcing indoor bulbs this year.
Head on over to Mr. McGregor’s Daughter, the list seems to be growing as fast as all of our indoor plants.