February is my least favored month of the year. I have a zillion reasons to be thankful and upbeat … and I never forget any one of them … but this does not prevent my February mood from turning blah … or even, at times, downright surly. In spite of annual efforts to stave off these February blahs, they settle in as surely as the sun sets and tides wane. The month’s dangle-a-shiny-object moments like Groundhog Day, the Super Bowl (even if ambivalent about American football, there’s usually one or two amusing commercials), Mardi Gras, or Valentine’s Day do not alter the fact that I simply don’t like this month. The nicest thing I can say about February is it’s short.
Every year I approach this month determined to keep the blahs at bay, but every year it claws at my mood until down-in-the-dumps replaces upbeat and downbeat overpowers positive. This year it took just five days for February’s talons to scrape my mood raw. But today the sun is shining and I’m determined to focus on the promise of March that always shines brightly at the end of my February tunnel. So I developed a plan … a February survival plan … and it boils down to accentuating the positives. Here’s my survival tactics so far:
- I succumbed to the luscious descriptions of seed catalogues and ordered from Kitchen Garden Seeds and Pinetree Garden Seeds, and in preparing these orders I was happily reminded of my good supply of seeds saved from last year – a money saver and a general mood booster. I don’t have to wait to plant early lettuce; all I have to do is add soil, water, and lights.
- The groundhog saw its shadow, so let it snow. Fresh snow makes everything look so clean and new. Watching snow fall is simply magic, and when sunshine reflects off of snow the whole world is brighter … and it’s in our short-term forecast.
- Only 40 days until spring. ONLY 40 DAYS UNTILL SPRING! Only 40 days until Spring! In just 21 more days we can say, “spring starts this month.”
- The first anniversary of this blog is fast approaching … yeah! Watch for a commemorative post.
- Celebrate others. Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints for a great Super Bowl win. This is going to be one hell of a Mardi Gras. Laissez les bon temp rouler, indeed.
So share with me … what do you do to beat back winter blahs, February or otherwise? With 20 more days of February left, and 40 more days until spring, there’s al lot of beating-back remaining to be done.